Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Other! Games (Indie games & more..) 
Other! Games (Indie games & more..)
Page: 1 of 7
Post Reply  0 Observer
Other! Games (Indie games & more..)  
Ok I've been looking into the other games thread and all I saw was games you see in TV-commercials every day.
Only Blockbusters
Not that bluckbusters are bad, and it sure is interesting to read what people think about these games but what I'm interested in even more is to find gems that you don't find on the top-sellers lists.

So this is the thread to post some unknown, underrated or simply different games. :)
They don't have to be huge, don't need stunning grafix or overly complex gameplay. Though you can of course also post such bombastic games if you're longing for it. :p

I'll start with 2 games that I recently played and had a lot of fun.

The first one is LIMBO.
Awesome 2-D 'try and die' game. I don't really know what this genre is called. ^^
The game is just 2-D, black & white, and dark in every aspect. :d
You're a little boy alone in the dark trying to find his way against all odds, trying to survive. :p

The second one is echochrome.
Pretty much a puzzle game where you have to get a stickman (who is auto-moving) from point A to B to C on simple structures, in fact just square blocks that are put together in different ways, with holes, jump pads and obstacles such as broken ways. To get there you have to use these given options but most important you have to change your point of view, the angles, by turning the structures in a 3-dimensional space so you'll land in the right place after you fell into a hole, walked over a jump pad. This way you can also hide the holes, pads and breaks in the way to seemingly make them disappear in the right moment so it is as if they weren't even there.
Not easy to explain. ^^ You should just watch a video or try it yourself. =p
Last edited by SkunkY,
..wasn't me

Knytt Stories :)

Platform game where you can build your own levels... VERY NICE (l) Perfect game control and many beautiful levels made by users. Almost like TM but 2D platform! Download for free here: http://nifflas.ni2.se/

Should also try "Within a deep forest" from that site while you're at it. You're a ball and you bounce your way to save the world, very nice game too. No level editor but the original adventure is great already :)

There are some more games there, the newer ones are perhaps more ambitious but costs money. What I tried didn't have the same crisp game control as the older ones though, but they're probably worth it :) If you like Limbo I think you will them.
Last edited by Tuta,
· · · – – – · · ·

Me about Limbo on TMNFX:

"rwnd." says:
Completed Limbo in - according to Steam - 2 hours.....

Even though that massive let down, it was 10 euros well spent. It's hands down the most atmospheric game I have ever played. The insane level design (not the gameplay, but the foreground/background composition etc.) gave such an intense atmosphere. If you play it, please put your volume very high, since that adds immensly to your gaming experience. The gameplay itself got too hard for me throughout the game, especially near the end (that last level.......), but real puzzle fans will probably enjoy that. Also, the story line lacked... well, it lacked altogether. At the end of the game, you have no idea who the boy is, what he's doing there, where 'there' is, who made the industrial part, who the other kids you see are... With this, any emotional contact with the game or the main character is vanished. Despite this, I'd still give the game a 9 out of 10, simply because of the intense atmosphere it creates. A fun couple of hours is assured with Limbo.

+++++++ Atmosphere;
+ Level design;
+ Sound effects.

- Length;
- Difficulty (personal opinion);
- Story line.
Quad Bike Racer

Trackmania United Forever *episniff*

World of Goo
Beetle Racer

VVVVVVV (don't remember how many V's are there)
Zimmer Racer

World of Goo is really good!
I've also got VVVVVV but still have to play it.

Braid - very cool timepuzzle game
Super Meat Boy - Hardcore platform
Trine - 3 character (Wizard, Knight, Rogue) platformer, very fun.

Actually, you just might want to go to http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Indie/ and just get the highest rated games (y)
Last edited by Januy,
Back to Toy-Car-Racer :(

Coil. ... it's free, just play through it.
Sports Saloon Racer

Trine is cool. have you played Frozen Synapse by the same people, i think? also Worms games are really fun.
Beetle Racer

I can rant about COD in this thread. I'm sick of that stupid series being focused on the multiplayer aspect instead of a decent single player campaign (or story line) that shouldn't take a couple of days to finish.

Very few series' actually have between 25 and 50 (or more) hours worth of gameplay. A perfect example is GTA, especially GTA SA; 120+ missions + side missions + a bunch of other stuff (spray tags etc). Yes, these games are two very different games from two different genres and shouldn't be compared in every aspect. But the length of gameplay is comparable, as it is with any game.

I'm not initiating a flame war over COD. This is just my personal opinion about COD's stupid multiplayer focus as well as other games appallingly short gameplay. I bet I'm not the only one who feels this way. I could be wrong. :p
Deep fried

Yeah Limbo is a really nice one.

One of my old games from the past.
Gunner 3
2d shooter with some levels, u get better weapons and its kinda fun. its kind of a small game but its free so...
Learner Driver
Page: 1 of 7 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem