Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Home made music 
Home made music
Page: 4 of 12
Post Reply  0 Observer

darkpuddle says:
made some dubstep stuff and an ambient song:)

click

ambient

GalvAnise sounds more like an archetype song like Axel or Sandstorm, something which defines its own style. I can't call it dubstep because it doesn't have the bass cannon that the genre is known for.

As for Metropolis Ruin, I could easily see VALVe asking for licensing.
Last edited by Phoenyx Imperius,
Rise from the ashes!

GalvAnise (y)
:d
Beetle Racer

you never know when science lessons come in handy :)
G-kart Racer

Cool songs dude, fits perfectly as background music while playing :)
Beetle Racer

I got a melody playing in my head so I opened the music maker and quickly played with synths... It is not a song at all, just some notes here and there with drums. Slow music that reminds me of Age of Empires ][ trial version xD

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4066261/meolduy2.MP3

I like the melody a lot so I wanted to share it. I have no idea if it's totally mine or is there something that forced me to make it.
Last edited by wormi,
Beetle Racer

I have to say I don't like any of your sounds. :$ I don't really know what you were trying to get with the synth sounds. The song doesn't work as a entirity. Most of the sounds don't fit together. Try to figure out what kind of song you're going to make before you start doing it. It helps a lot. You don't need a million different sounds to make a good song.

Secondly, I don't think that the song is very entertaining. It's the same melody all over again. It's not a bad melody, it could work if there was: a) harmonic diversity, or b) different kind of rhythms. You have neither. :/

Instead of using the octaves so much, try playing with major and minor chords for example. Right now you have this kinda system as the background: bass - octave - octave. It's impossible to mess up with this style... but it sounds boring, to be straight. Here's an interesting exercise. Ban octaves. I don't know how much music theory you know, but this is a really challenging practicing method. And it helps you develope some really nice chords that you never even thought about before. Of course it's just an exercise - octaves aren't 'bad'. But you shouldn't use ONLY them.

Thirdly, your song lacks a structure. It's just random parts (except the ending, there's some sort of crescendo there or something - it's pretty good). You pretty much repeat the same melody from the beginning to the end. Try something different in the middle. Changing the key is one option. Varying the theme is another. Try different things. And maybe add some synth chords in the background in the end... massive endings usually work in stuff like this.

I don't know if you're only using pre-made samples or something, but you can apply the changes and improvements in any case :)

----

New Song!

Guitar Pro 6. The sounds aren't the best, they're not meant to be. I might record this with real guitar someday...

I think it turned out pretty cool. Tell me what you think.
Last edited by Ville,
Back in action!

Well, as I don't even tried to make the last one full song, just a melody I stored in my pc, I know it is very simple. And in general I don't "finish" any songs, just add some melody again and again if I like it. I like quite much techno, trance and 8bit songs in which the melody usually repeats with different sounds.

I really wish I could do a better song with the melody of my previous one, but it is totally impossible with magix music maker and I think I should learn totally new program (and buy it... or just use pirate version ^^) to make it sound as it sounds in my head. like what? Well, I imagine that melody with a real orchestra with strings, trumpets, deep bass drums, choir etc mixed with techno and drum&bass elements. It's quite hard to describe how I think it and even harder to produce the way I liked... :< So all I can do is use the single VSTi synth of magix and do something ^^

About your song I must say that I don't like it. The music style... not even close my favorites, but not totally bad. For me it sounds like a guitarist random notes and some broken drummer bot making weird noises in the background. Of course I understand that you maybe had a great idea there but I can't find it ^^ I think it would work a bit better with words but I know it isn't possible for random music makers. I think drums should be faster. I don't mean the bass should kick even faster, I'd like to hear some happier style there. But I like those slow parts between the song and also the part that starts 2:30 ->. The faded ending... well I hate it x) Something more powerful would be better there. Maybe I just don't get the point as I don't listen such a music (I listen everything except rap and fast metal lol).

So well... so different and both bad 8-| haha
Beetle Racer

Ville, just had a listen. I like it. I like when the time signature changes. I like the chromaticism later in the piece. I like when drum beats aren't subscribed to beats 2 and 4. I feel challenged as a listener, which is exactly what I like from music I listen to.

There are a couple of things I don't like. Towards the beginning, the closely layered distorted guitars sound a bit mushy, and I fear some of the musicality is lost. I also don't like how it sounds so sampled, but what else can one expect from Guitar Pro 6? ;)
Sports Saloon Racer

Heh, wormi, you clearly don't like progressive metal. :p But it's okay. Thanks for the feedback anyway, glad you liked some parts.

---

Bucky: Thanks for the feedback. In GP it's really hard to make the guitars sound clear, especially when there's a lot of them at the same time. But I could have balanced it differently, and maybe I should have. I'll try to record some part with real guitar so you hear how it would sound.

Also, uhm... GP is a notation program. Every single note is placed separately, also in drums. There are no samples at all.

...but I do admit that I use copy/pasting quite a bit, especially when it comes to drums. Surely I would refine the drums if I were to record this. But yeah, I see your point. :p On the other hand, I think there's more variation than one can hear without being extremely concentrated... mostly just details though.
Back in action!

Yeah, it's just notation software, but what do you think the notes trigger? My money is on samples 8-|
Sports Saloon Racer
Page: 4 of 12 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem