Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Movie lovers? Where are you? 
Movie lovers? Where are you?
Page: 1 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer
Movie lovers? Where are you?  
...just continuing the old TMXU-thread. A place to talk about movies (and TV-Series).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday I've watched Steven Spielbergs Duel. I really forgot what a masterpiece it is. If you don't know it, watch it?
The movie is about a guy in his car getting hunted by a truck for no obvious reason. That's the story. He is getting out of the car several times, but most of the time it's just the battle of two machines. Spielberg has got many shots of the car and the truck. The movie is made in the editing. It's just amazing how the tension is made just by a great editing, without having many different objects to show in the picture. The sound of the cars is GREAT, too.
There's also a subtext about this not so manly guys and the threat of this huge solid metal being after him.

The "scenery" and the drifting reminds me a lot of Canyon. Just look at the plants...

Hans Holo
:d
Beetle Racer

kiwininja in the guess the movie topic guessed the movie 'kids' written by harmony korine, so i though it would be nice to see how many of us know/have seen his hipster movies.

so far i've seen kids (by larry clark; korine just wrote the story) wich is quite nice but way too fucked up, gummo and julien donkey boy.
most people say that gummo is his best one, but personally i didn't like it at all. just pure randomness and it's not even fun/entertaining. on the other hand, julien donkey boy is one of the most tragic movies i've ever seen. also there are some nice actors like spud from trainspotting, chloe sevigny (kids) and werner herzog.
it's not for everyone, but if you accept the challenge you won't be disappointed.
    md
Quad Bike Racer

I've seen kids in cinema when it came out. Didn't like the movie that much, but I think i was a bit too young for this movie (not that age really matters in understanding a movie). I thought it was a cool movie about skateboarders (I was skating at that time) and not such a hard film.
Maybe it's a question of what you want; a drama that throws reality right into your face, with all faults humans can have, or something that just entertains you and let you forget the reality for 90mins.
I like both, but it's a matter of mood.
Haven't seen the other movie...
Beetle Racer

I will always remember the bath scene from Gummo, so repulsive. I agree with you though, it's just pure randomness.

I suppose it really depends on what you mean by hipster movies. As long as a movie isn't directed by Michael Bay and his ilk, I'll watch it.
G-kart Racer

M. Bay is horrible in my eyes, too. But as a sci-fi fan I have to admit that I liked The Island very much. I thought it's just another variation of Logan's Run when the movie began. I don't want to tell more, in case somebody wants to watch it...

Michael Bay eating a bowl of cereals

Southpark:
"Those aren't ideas, those are special effects."
Michael Bay: "I don't know the difference."
:p
Last edited by Hans Holo,
Beetle Racer

md
Quad Bike Racer

lol at the Michael Bay eating a bowl of cereal video!

Does anyone hear watch allot of series. For instance:

Breaking Bad?
Dexter?
The Big Bang Theory?
Bones?
How I met your mother?
NCIS?
Cougar Town?
or
The Simpsons?
American Dad?
Futurama?
Family Guy?
Cleveland Show?
South Park?

I know I do :p

But as movies. The last movie I saw was Cowboys and Aliens and I have to say I liked it. When I first saw the trailer, I thought "WTF, are you kidding me??" But eventually because Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford played in the movie I watched it. I was pleasantly surprised by the acting and story. Overall a good movie.
That's a point of view from a guy that doesn't always likes cowboy films or to much sci-fi stuff.

Anyone else watched it?
Feels gooood!

If you're not watching breaking bad, you must not have a tv. Not really many good series out there right now, game of thrones is not bad tho.
Old Age Caravanner

I love Breaking Bad. And as a chemist myself I really like the science talk :p
The show feels slow and quite but that's just what they want. More words can be said without saying them and it keeps the viewer on edge and always thinking what the next move is going to be. It's an formula that works for me. I'm waiting for the next season to air. Unfortunately that's still al long time.

I haven't watched Game of Thrones though. What's it about? Any good?

Last edited by Sticky,
Feels gooood!

i am angry series nerd 8-|
Favourite series are:

Breaking Bad
Dexter
Doctor Who
Game of Thrones
Supernatural
Eureka
The Big Bang Theory
Lie to Me
The 4400
V
Lost

...and many others :p
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 1 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem