Location: Home  Community Forums  General  Getting discouraged... 
Getting discouraged...
Page: 11 of 12
Locked  0 Observer

FT»Joyeux says:
If you show to the other you care a lot about awards, then the other players (at least I do) are kinda revulsed by you, and by your tracks. Asking for a feedback isn't bad ofc, but asking too much, or literally asking for awards is really reputation-killer. I experienced it myself a year ago. ;)

hehe, i remember that :d

You're right though, people know how to award tracks, so there's no reason to ask for them.
Oh, and australia? Really? The 'kiwi' part should've given that away xD
Moped Racer

Well I must say, I agree with the last few pages. :)
Old Age Caravanner

KiWiNiNjA says:
My two cents.

If you view your success by the number of awards you get, you are just setting yourselves up for failure. Who cares if you don't get 20+ awards. I'd rather have a couple of really awesome awards. Quality over quantity, any day.

Your tracks aren't getting recognised? Most people start out the same. Luck? I don't believe it's luck. You make your own luck.

Persistence. Keep on building. Slowly refine your track style. Don't sell out just for awards. Do what's fun for you.

Market yourself (I don't mean spamming). Go on servers and ask for your track to be played. Listen to criticism and learn from it, otherwise what's the point?

Lower expectations. Don't expect awards, but as you start building tracks that people like you will slowly start attracting followers. Your name will be recognised, and you will get downloads and the occasional award.

One thing I do know, complaining about a lack of "success" won't make you successful.

Peace
KN

Great advice for someone like me whose new to the community.

On a different, on-topic note, does anyone go by karma instead of awards. I seem to find that a good amount of awards seem to go to names, not tracks (although some of them are undoubtedly deserved for the track), whilst karma edges towards the general players opinion. I find karma a much better measure of how well a track is doing.

Hell, I think karma (if possible) should be shown on a tracks page.
G-kart Racer

With karma, it's easier to speak your mind - you can just type a simple ++ or --, as opposed to actually finding a track on this site and typing a 'review.' If everyone actually DID go out and award every track they liked, MX would be a very different place.

Adding karma to a trackpage is a nice idea, but what server would you take it from?
Moped Racer

Jet777 says:
With karma, it's easier to speak your mind - you can just type a simple ++ or --, as opposed to actually finding a track on this site and typing a 'review.' If everyone actually DID go out and award every track they liked, MX would be a very different place.

Adding karma to a trackpage is a nice idea, but what server would you take it from?

Why not take it from all the servers the tracks on. Might be a hard thing to script, but if you add up all the ++'s on all servers and all the --'s, I think that would give a great idea on how good the actual track is to the larger community.
Last edited by Osl112,
G-kart Racer

You would have to make sure that every server everywhere is exporting their karma to MX. A lot of people will customize the way their server plugins run, and get rid of things they don't need. There's no way we can mandate or enforce that kind of thing.

-edit- Just had a thought. Dedimania is pretty ubiquitous. Suppose that dedimania supported a karma system, as well as a record system. TMX already gets records from dedi, why not karma as well? This one would work much better than trying to get everyone to install the same server plugin.
Last edited by Bucky,
Sports Saloon Racer

Bucky says:
-edit- Just had a thought. Dedimania is pretty ubiquitous. Suppose that dedimania supported a karma system, as well as a record system. TMX already gets records from dedi, why not karma as well? This one would work much better than trying to get everyone to install the same server plugin.

That would be awesome... absolutely awesome.
G-kart Racer

indeed.
Zimmer Racer

yes but when is dedimania coming for tm2?
Beetle Racer

That's a question for the dedi devs ;)
Sports Saloon Racer
Page: 11 of 12 Locked
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem