Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Quarter Pounder with Cheese or Big Mac? 
Quarter Pounder with Cheese or Big Mac?
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Quarter Pounder with Cheese or Big Mac?  
Edit: I've changed the thread's title to a more friendly one.
(If you don't get it, watch Pulp Fiction!)

-------------------------------------------------------
We have players from many countries on MX, so I think it could be a good place for some cultural exchance. I'm not talkin about telling others about Shakespeare and Goethe. But once in a while you want to know something from another country that you would possibly ask if you knew somebody from there, but won't look it up in a encyclopedia (if it is doable anyways). So maybe we use this chance to ask other Trackmaniacs about their country.
Possible questions could be:
- why aren't dutch people all fat, when they have this awesome breakfast sweets (Peanutbutter, Chocolate Hagelslaag...)?
- is it true that every hooplehead can buy a gun in the USA?

Of course there will be a lot of prejeduces involved, but you can only get rid of them, when you talk about it.
So please do not insult people and do not take things personally or too serious.

How it could look like:
American: Is it true that all germans wear Lederhosen (traditional leather pants)?
German: No, but you can probably see them at taditional events in Bavaria.
Japanese: A little addition: here in Japan it is a new trend to wear Lederhosen. So when going to a party in Shingoku, you will find a lot of young people wearing them.
(This is just an example I've made up, true or not.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here comes my first question:

Yesterday I watched Jackass. One of them was disguised as an old, fat lady. He/she fell down and layed on sidewalk like injured. People were passing by, but noone helped. I've seen similar situations from the USA on TV, with injured people lying on the street and other people just passing by.
So my question would be: What the f*ck is wrong with you Americans? ;) Is it just the TV showing the worst situations and cutting out everyone that helped? I've heard that there is a law, that if you help somebody in that kind of situation and do something wrong, you are (legally) responsible for it. Does this law exist? Is it because of that?

In Germany:
I've seen "tests" on german television, were a car-accident was staged. The car was a bit off the road, lying on its roof (f.e.) and many people just drove by without stopping. It was said, that those people had excuses like "I was in a hurry; I didn't see it; I thought somebody else would help..."
But my guess would be, that the sidewalk-situation would go different. There you cannot say that you didn't see it or thought somebody else would help. Not only because of that, but because we have a law that says that you have to help people in need or else get punished.

I hope you got my point here. I don't want to say that germans are better then americans. I just want an explanation of what I've seen and maybe a guess why there are differences, if there are any.
Last edited by Hans Holo,
Beetle Racer

Hans Holo says:
Yesterday I watched Jackass. One of them was disguised as an old, fat lady. He/she fell down and layed on sidewalk like injured. People were passing by, but noone helped.

I, German, once got hit by a car and literally everyone came to help and called ze ambulance. Funny thing is, I wasn't even nearly insured, in fact I was completely unharmed. Then the guys with the van sued me for damaging their front of the car. Heh.

Anyway, everyone helps in Germany according to my experience.
Beetle Racer

Hans Holo says:
is it true that every hooplehead can buy a gun in the USA?

Depends on what state you live in. In places like Texas that are much more conservative, gun regulations are not as strict, and it is fairly easy to get yourself a firearm. It is also more accepted down south. Further north, there are many more hoops to jump through.

Hans Holo says:
So my question would be: What the f*ck is wrong with you Americans? ;) Is it just the TV showing the worst situations and cutting out everyone that helped? I've heard that there is a law, that if you help somebody in that kind of situation and do something wrong, you are (legally) responsible for it. Does this law exist? Is it because of that?

The majority of Americans just want to get where they're going and not be bothered getting there, but there are more good samaritans than you think. Don't trust what you see on television. The guys from Jackass probably did a terrible job selling the bit, too.

When it comes to their own wellfare, no one wants to be responsible for themselves. For example, there was one person years ago who sued McDonalds because she spilled their coffee in her lap and it burned. Yeah the coffee is hot. At some point, one has to own up to their stupid mistakes, and a lot of Americans won't do that if they can just sue somebody else. Another example. A burglar breaks into your home, and hurts himself stealing stuff. He can hold you legally responsible. Also, there are a lot of people who are allowed to drive a car who just plain shouldn't be. But, I digress.

Does that answer your question?
Sports Saloon Racer

Thank you very much for your answer Bucky!

I thought about this thread and maybe this is another bad idea for the Off Topic Section.
I see a big potential for misunderstanding and people getting angry. And that would be the opposite of my intention.
Maybe this should be deleted...?

And btw. dutch peanut butter is the best (seriously)!
:d
Beetle Racer

Let's see where it goes. As long as this thread is treated with respect, it should be fine (y)
Sports Saloon Racer

Bucky says:
Let's see where it goes. As long as this thread is treated with respect, it should be fine (y)
Bucky, my dear, do you perhaps have a question for us Germans?
Beetle Racer

I bet nobody even cares about us, Lithuanians =p
Zimmer Racer

Space says:
I bet nobody even cares about us, Lithuanians =p

I have no idea about Lithuanians so you can introduce at least me to you!
Beetle Racer

metoxys says:

Yes, actually. I'm going to Germany next Wednesday for 10 days. I know Frankfurt and Munich are on the list, as well as some other cities in the southwest. Is there anything that I should know? Any unknown-to-tourists sites to see?
Sports Saloon Racer

Bucky says:
metoxys says:

Yes, actually. I'm going to Germany next Wednesday for 10 days. I know Frankfurt and Munich are on the list, as well as some other cities in the southwest. Is there anything that I should know? Any unknown-to-tourists sites to see?

Hooo... I really hate Munich and I've never really been in Frankfurt, so I can't help you on that one :s
Anyway, enjoy your stay :d
Beetle Racer
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem