Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Quarter Pounder with Cheese or Big Mac? 
Quarter Pounder with Cheese or Big Mac?
Page: 2 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer

Cities aside, is there anything that I should know about the German culture?

Also, I hear that you are culturally obligated to have a car to match your economic status, and as you move up, you must get a better car. How true is this?

-edit-
This video is relevant: http://www.wimp.com/accidentlyleaving/
Last edited by Bucky,
Sports Saloon Racer

@Bucky: Why are you going to Germany? Would be one of the last countries in Europe I'd choose for holidays.
What kind of things do you want to see? It might be useless to recommend something you are not interested in at all...

Bucky says:
Cities aside, is there anything that I should know about the German culture?

When you go to a store or restaurant the employees might be a impolite/rough, but they don't mean it.
We've heard about "customer is king", but that's it.
And do not wait in a restaurant for the waitress to get you a seat. Just sit down where you like.

Bucky says:
Also, I hear that you are culturally obligated to have a car to match your economic status, and as you move up, you must get a better car. How true is this?

There is a tendency to do it. My story about this topic:
After finishing school, I've worked at a bank; still driving the tiny, old Toyota-Starlet I could afford during my "service" (until this year you had to go to the army for one year after school, or do another job for the public, f.e. working in a retirement home).
So here I am, parking my car in front of the bank, folding out my nearly 2 meters long body out of the car, adjusting my tie. A customer already waiting in front of the bank looked at me, pointed at the car and said: "That doesn't fit!"
It went that far that co-workers were looking for offers on cars. And I found myself negotiating about a new Audi that was pretty expensive, while I didn't care about cars in general (except for a Ford Mustang). I was kinda pushed to buy a car I didn't really want. (Then I quit my job, went to university and was happy about a good working public transportation in a big city.)
In addition I have to say, that if you want to underline your economic status with a car, you have to get one of the expensive german cars like Audi, Mercedes, BMW.
We germans might be a bit car-crazy, but cars is the thing we have and think we are known for in other countries.
Btw. don't be dissapointed about the Autobahn
. I've heard about people coming to Germany to drive their cars as fast as possible. This is allowed on the Autobahn as long there are no signs for a speed-limit. But let me put it that way: the industry for street-signs will be the last going bankrupt in Germany.
:d
Beetle Racer

Hans Holo says:
We germans might be a bit car-crazy, but cars is the thing we have and think we are known for in other countries.

So people with a higher status drink more expensive german beer? =p

Most people's imagination of Germans are only Bavarian stereotypes, people down there can be quite different according to the rest of the country, no offense of course. ;)
Last edited by XT kruemelyeti,
Moped Racer

Hans Holo says:
still driving the tiny, old Toyota-Starlet

So I'm gonna buy me a Shelby...
Beetle Racer

I'm going with my fiancée and her parents. I know we have tickets to see the brass of the Berlin phil (l) and I heard something about a giant slide into a mine. Other than that, I think it will be mostly taking in the sights.
Thanks (y)
Sports Saloon Racer

Bucky says:
I'm going with my fiancée and her parents. I know we have tickets to see the brass of the Berlin phil (l) and I heard something about a giant slide into a mine. Other than that, I think it will be mostly taking in the sights.
Thanks (y)

Berlin phil is kinda sexy, tell me how it was!
Beetle Racer

Maybe it is not that easy to recommend something from your own country, because you have a different perspective than the visitor. There's one thing for example we germans have seen on hundreds of schooltrips and are hardly interested in, but I've heard about americans coming to Europe for just one thing: old castles. We have a lot of them and you'll sure pass many during your trip. I guess they are printed in every guide.
To visit the phil is a very good idea, especially for a musician.
It seems that your route goes through that parts of Germany I do not know that well.
The south has a beautiful landscape.
I've been to Frankfurt many times and the only sights people took me where the top of skyscrapers (probably not that interesting for an american?), the old town hall and the "place" where german democracy was founded (you cannot miss the last 2 when going to Frankfurt, they are pretty much in the center).
Two other things that may not be on your route, but in case:
- The Cologne cathedral is awesome. I've passed it every day for years and it wasn't like other things on your dayly route you hardly take notice of. Every day I looked up and thought: "Wow!"
- My personal favourite is probably not on your way, but I think it's worth mentioning: The Industrial Heritage Trail (Route Industriekultur). In an area where traditionally coal mines and other heavy industry was located (Ruhrgebiet), the old production-sites got stuffed with art (made into a museum) or made into art. So you can see classic or contemporary art at an interesting location or go "climbing" on old, cool looking industrial stuff:
http://home.fotocommunity.de/dieterg/index.php?id=741404&d=8056755
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grubenlampe,_Halde_Rheinpreu%C3%9Fen,_Blaue_Stunde,_2010-10-09,_I.jpg
http://www.gasometer.de/en_GB/index.php?pid=3_1
There you can also visit the "Eilefant":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Elefantengeb%C3%A4ude_-Maximilian_Park-2.JPG
The old villa of the Krupp family ("Krupp-Stahl") can also be visited. It has a awesome handmade interior (wooden stairs, ceilings...) and also contains a museum:
http://villahuegel.de/cms/projekt01/uk/pre/index.html
Don't forget to eat a "Weißwurst" in Munich and a Currywurst in Berlin (Wurst=Sausage).

Maybe this helps you a little. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to help.
Hans
:d

-------------------
Edit:
Another thing: Make a photo of your parents' face, when they see the gas-price! ;)
Last edited by Hans Holo,
Beetle Racer

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!
Sports Saloon Racer
Page: 2 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem