Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Portal 2 - Map editor 
Portal 2 - Map editor
Page: 3 of 4
Post Reply  0 Observer

but they even break Valve maps

Valve maps.
Moped Racer

That's just cruelty in it's purest form.
Back to Toy-Car-Racer :(

isn't the point of a puzzle to solve it the fastest/logical way possible?
Quad Bike Racer

the idea of a manufactured puzzle is to solve it without going outside of the rules of engagement and laws of the context it exists within.

it's not a puzzle anymore if you don't. it's a walk in the park, and the enjoyable part, i.e solving it, is lost.

it's like gluing a jigsaw set together

you don't get to experience the completed puzzle, and you break the premise of the game

don't even bother debating this
Moped Racer

Well said.
Site Leader

irondragons says:
don't even bother debating this

irondragons says:
the idea of a manufactured puzzle is to solve it without going outside of the rules of engagement and laws of the context it exists within.

it's not a puzzle anymore if you don't. it's a walk in the park, and the enjoyable part, i.e solving it, is lost.

so, solving a puzzle without thinking outside the box... hmmm, you of all people should know that's a bad thing to promote.

Thinking outside the box is a requirement in puzzles, and in life if you ever want to succeed at something. In puzzles, thinking outside the box means going outside the so-called "rules of engagement", it's no different in portal... but as it seems, valve doesn't want anyone to challenge themselves to complete a map the fastest way, or using the least amount of portals to beat a map, or they would've released a challenge mode by now (which to the extent of my knowledge there isn't in portal 2).

irondragons says:
it's like gluing a jigsaw set together

you don't get to experience the completed puzzle, and you break the premise of the game

let's say i do the puzzle the way in was intended to be done, after 10 or so times i start getting tired of it. Now, I start to "break" the "premise" of the game to bring new life into the game for me, is there anything wrong with it? No, there's nothing wrong with it, and nothing will ever be wrong with it. It's like using Game Genie with the NES, nothing is wrong with using it, it's just another way to have fun in the games that you play on it.

Essentially what i'm saying is that, just because someone goes outside the "rules of enegagement" in a portal 2 puzzle, doesn't make it the right way to do it, it's just the right way for that person because he wanted to find another way to do it. When you get bored of something, what you would do is either go do something else that's more interesting, or find another way to do the thing that you're bored of.

tl:dr Everyone has their own way of doing a puzzle, and it isn't our job to force them to do it the way it's suppose to be done.
Quad Bike Racer

im not really into portal and stuff, but generally speaking, thinking outside the box and exploiting glitches of the system are quite different things.
    md
Quad Bike Racer

Valve has to ensure that the records set in their system are not using gltiches, bugs, or some sort of cheat.

If you can think outside the box and figure out how to solve the puzzle in a different way within the rules of the game, then good for you. If you have to resort to cheats, then you didn't really solve it, you simply skipped the challenge of doing it within the rules.

I've seen people use cheats in TM as well, especially in stunt maps. Do I think they've suddenly discovered a new way to drive stunt maps and that they should be allowed to do it however they want? Offline, sure. They can do whatever they want offline. But as soon as they upload their replay or run the stunt track online using cheats... it ceases to become their problem only and becomes a larger issue within the community.

As soon as one person cheats, everyone else has to also cheat in order to compete, and the whole system falls apart. That's why it's imperative that Valve continues to fix any exploits within Portal 2.

This custom map thing looks amazing. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very impressed with some of the screenshots and videos I've seen. I look forward to trying some of your levels.
Site Leader

you know that if i had known that there is a record storing system in portal 2, i wouldn't have bothered to post anything in the first place. Yeah go on, say i'm stupid and whatever else, i did do my research on it and didn't find anything on it... so just disregard my other two posts.
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 3 of 4 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem