Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  What are you doing? 
What are you doing?
Page: 1 of 3
Post Reply  0 Observer
What are you doing?  
It's just something small and I think might be fun.

What is the job you are doing? And do you enjoy doing it?
and/or
What do/did you study?

I know not everyone wants to put their life on the internet, so just be fague if you don't want to.

I'll go first.

I'm still studying Chemistry, currently doing an internship for my last year of college in Ireland and I'm loving it!

and if you really want to know what I'm doing at the moment: I'm doing NMR titration to check binding strenghts.

Hope this gets any attention
Cheers
Feels gooood!

I'll help break the ice...

I work as a computer programmer. I help build and maintain applications. I've been employed for about five years now (three years on contract, two years full time)!

The languages I use are classic ASP, html, javascript, SQL and sometimes COBOL and Visual Basic. I enjoy my work. Programming feels like writing a novel, with a puzzle aspect added into it.

I have created a large variety of programs so far, such as financial programs, custom functions, reports, etc. I also assisted in building a portal site (kind of like TMX!).

I enjoy building / creating things, so programming was a good career choice for me!

@Sticky
That sounds very cool! Is there a specific job you are working towards, or do you just want to do any chemistry job (if you don't mind me asking)?
Learner Driver

@wrathwell (Thanks)
What you do sounds fun as well! Computer programmer was something that interested me, but since you can't do everything you have to let stuff go.

What I would like to have as a job is something in Organic Synthesis, making new molecules and testing their properties. This field is quite broad, but that makes it interesting. Or a job, that I know a certain someone is doing, where you have to test almost everything that comes past the customs. For example, checking if the fat level in peanut butter is at it's quota (not to high not to low, as it's says on the label), checking alcohol (methanol, ethanol, ...) contents of various drinks, checking wood samples for the right tensile strength, checking the nicotine content of cigarettes, ... ... ... and so on and so on. That is more based on Analytical Chemistry, which my interests are focused on as on Organics, and the variety of things you need to test is huge. And like in Organic Chemistry new molecules get made, or inventions, and they need to be tested.
Both jobs, actually most jobs in the Chemistry world, give you the ability to keep learning and raising the bar.
If want to go working after College is question for me. I might end up going to University getting a Masters degree and trying a Ph. D.. Who knows.

(right I have to go the MX Knockout competition is almost starting!!!!!)
Last edited by Sticky,
Feels gooood!

Well I have just finished my school with an average of 8,6 [4-10 ratio]. I had matriculation exams some weeks ago. Now I sleep, do some little work at my dad's place and play TM. I'll go to army in July and will be there from 6 to 11 months, so I will be very inactive for half an year - and probably the rest of my life, who knows. Nothing more to add now, I'll go to sleep.
Beetle Racer

Going to the army. Nice.
I wanted to go the army when I was young but my parents told me not to do so. :(

Is it still manditory to go to the army at a certain age in Finland?

I was looking at your highlights on your profile page, impressive stuff! And that screen with all the medals for the hardest tracks in the game is just insane!
Feels gooood!

Every man has to go to army or civilian duty between the ages of 18 and 30. For women it's optional.
Beetle Racer

Lol that's weird.

I mean, it's not an insult or something. But if I had to choose countries in Europe that I would expect the least to get into a war it would be the Scandinavian countries :p

Sometimes I wish it was still mandatory here haha. Would give me an excuse to spend a small year in the army, because I'd love to try.
Back to Toy-Car-Racer :(

Januy says:
Lol that's weird.

I mean, it's not an insult or something. But if I had to choose countries in Europe that I would expect the least to get into a war it would be the Scandinavian countries :p

Sometimes I wish it was still mandatory here haha. Would give me an excuse to spend a small year in the army, because I'd love to try.

Yes but if they ever do, ooh boy your are ****** because almost everyone is trained!

And sometimes I wish for the same thing.
Last edited by Sticky,
Feels gooood!

In Northern Europe, the army politics vary quite a lot from country to country. In contrast to Finland, Sweden has recently reworked their army to solely be a professional full-time job.

Sticky says:

Yes but if they ever do, ooh boy your are ****** because almost everyone is trained!
And sometimes I wish for the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
Look under "Casualties and losses" in the column to the right. A little reminder of history.
Last edited by broadsword,
Moped Racer

broadsword says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
Look under "Casualties and losses" in the column to the right. A little reminder of history.

If I understand the left is Finland and the right is Soviet Union. I believe Finland did well, despite of the lost souls, may they rest in peace.

You can see that communism isn't always the best way to go. Mass production but poor quality.
Feels gooood!
Page: 1 of 3 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem