Location: Home  Community Forums  Announcements  Regarding maps and replays and the move to ManiaPlanet 4 
Regarding maps and replays and the move to ManiaPlanet 4
Page: 1 of 7
Post Reply  0 Observer
Regarding maps and replays and the move to ManiaPlanet 4  

All maps built prior to the release of ManiaPlanet 4 should be upgraded.
Why do we say that? Keep reading...

ManiaPlanet 4 Update
ManiaPlanet 4 includes great performance improvements. Blocks received geometry updates; some that had no clips previously, now do. And the way lightmaps work has been improved.

Because of these changes, and others, old maps can't be played without looking broken, sometimes even breaking the route. For example, this is what a map looks like if it's played without being updated:

This is what the same map looks like when upgraded to ManiaPlanet 4:

How do I update my maps?
Currently:
- Your map becomes invalidated if you open it in the editor.
- Setting a new validation time will change your map's unique identifier (UID).
- Uploading an updated map with a different UID will cause all replays to be lost and previously set Dedimania times will no longer be synced with that map page.

Therefore, we recommend that you not use the editor to upgrade your maps, unless you're doing some block changes that will require a new validation time to be set.

Instead, you should use the batch converter. Guides here:
https://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?p=289131#p289131

Please note: Some older blockmixed maps that used TM2Unlimiter, or other similar tools, may not convert properly.

What about replays?
Maps that have been updated to ManiaPlanet 4 on ManiaExchange may have replays from a previous version. Those replays will be tagged with a little warning icon showing they were from a previous version of ManiaPlanet.

Old replays contain the old map data, so it's best to play against new replays or download the updated map itself.

Maps that have not been updated to ManiaPlanet 4 will display a warning at the top of the map page.

Replays driven in ManiaPlanet 4 cannot be uploaded to older maps until the map has been updated to ManiaPlanet 4.

How do I find ManiaPlanet 4 compatible maps?
You can search for ManiaPlanet 4 compatible maps by using the GameVersion search filter, or using this URL:
https://tm.mania-exchange.com/tracksearch2?gv=1

Who will update the maps on MX?
Players are welcome to upgrade their own maps.

Those that don't upgrade will eventually have their maps upgraded by the Project GPU team.

Project GPU is a team of players which includes MX crew, and a select group of trusted server owners and community leaders. Our goal is to have nearly every map playable in the current version of the game.

If you find your map has already been updated by the Project GPU team, you can check to make sure it works properly. If changes are needed, you can do them yourself and update the map again manually. If you feel you can't update the map, you can always hide it, or leave it in it's current state.

Hidden maps will generally not be updated by the Project GPU team.

Maps already updated to ManiaPlanet 4 will not be updated again (with the exception of those in the RPG titlepack).

We are on track to finish upgrading all the maps on MX by early July 2017. Valley and Storm are already completed. Canyon is nearly done. Stadium is very close as well.

What about old versions of maps?
We are keeping a backup of old versions of maps the Project GPU team updates.

Downgrading a map is possible, but takes a lot of time to find the map. Most players will not be playing the old versions of the game, so please think seriously before requesting a downgrade. We will choose to honor such requests on a case by case basis.

We won't have backups of old versions of maps authors update themselves.

Feedback
Post any questions or comments below. We'll do our best to answer them. Thanks for supporting ManiaExchange during this transition!
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

How does the batch command work? I ran it and it opened TM but it just sat on the background screen showing the clouds going past and nothing else.
Old Age Caravanner

Full page listing errors after downloading MP4. Cannot access the game at all. Would not let me exit. All I could do was ctrl-alt-delete. Everything was fine till I tried to access the RPG titlepack.

Last edited by Red Virus,
Learner Driver

Sorry to hear of your problems RedVirus.
However, reports about game bugs should be directed to Nadeo on their forums.

Regarding the batch command.... make sure you can access the titles of the maps you are converting.

And I personally use offline mode when batch command launches the game. This way it doesn't try to download any additional titles that I may not have downloaded yet.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

Sorry to be negative, but they completely ruined canyon. It's like driving muffled mush with the sounds and physics changes. Not your fault of course, but not sure what they were thinking with that.
Of course I am just one insignificant player that really loved how canyon was before.

I've been driving tracks older to newer for fun and enjoyment and uploading the replays, now that is over unless the authors change the tracks themselves. I'd never expect mania exchange to even begin to tackle that task, this update is just a complete disappointment for me. But that is just me, I'm sure lots of people like it. Just wish they would have thought about backwards compatibility given the vast amount of tracks that were made previously.
Learner Driver

You are not the only one. I'm disappointed to. Why is it necessary to convert the maps? I have build over 230 maps - secured with a PW. Now I have to edit every map. Thats not fair.
Learner Driver

This is exactly the way it is, in MP4 the maps can not play backwards compatible with this variety of maps. It is uncomfortable to expect the authors to convert all their maps, many of the authors no longer care about their maps, others are far too many (see for example Mr.DvD).
The car under MP4 faster starts than in older versions is already stupid but who would like to improve all his records.

So, I have converted an older map as described here.
https://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/tr/103
Everything so far ok, the replays are still present, also the hint is disappeared and the replays is pointed to an older version.
I wonder why I can not download my map here on MX ?
I will be returned to the home page.

Last edited by Patriot,
Quad Bike Racer

Thx eyebo for the summary (and everthing else)! (y)
---------------------

Updating tracks on MX works so far, but I have the feeling the shadows aren't computed correctly ( or they are just not looking good or just different). It looks cheap.
Anybody else made observations like that?
Maybe somebody could be so nice to test the shadows on this track:
https://tm.mania-exchange.com/tracks/49410/will-your-watch-be-waiting
After the second jump, on the right side, there is a block that has a deep black surface. It's just not looking right. :s

Thanks in advance
:d
Beetle Racer

We can better make a new Mania Exchange website and start over fresh. And close TMX so the community is back in one place. :p
Quad Bike Racer

Hans Holo says:
After the second jump, on the right side, there is a block that has a deep black surface. It's just not looking right. :s

No problem, I have in a MP4 converted map a completely red booster, the platform is completely red :-w
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 1 of 7 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem