Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Music lovers? Where are you? 
Music lovers? Where are you?
Page: 14 of 27
Post Reply  0 Observer

@md: I like the Cobblestone Jazz song, but I think it's a bit too repitative for 9 min. (always the same basic tunes).
Do you know the Event Horizon Soundtrack by Orbital & Michael Kamen? It's one of my all time top 10 CDs.

@ZopUH: I've been a big fan of Filter, but that was in the 90s... ;)

@Nimrod: Your link isn't available from Germany (what do you do to watch it anyway?).
If you're interested in Filter, my girlfriend just sorted out the first two albums this week.

My favourite Filter song (a cover) from the X-Files Soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlsI-CTvX1A
"One is the loneliest number" man what a line! :p
:d
Beetle Racer

Hans Holo says:
@md: I like the Cobblestone Jazz song, but I think it's a bit too repitative for 9 min. (always the same basic tunes).
Do you know the Event Horizon Soundtrack by Orbital & Michael Kamen? It's one of my all time top 10 CDs

in my book repetitiveness is a plus in that kind of songs :p
anyway i did not know that orbital album, but i'm so looking forward to listening to their upcoming lp. i hope they're going to make some gigs in italy as well, i'd love to see them live.
    md
Quad Bike Racer

Hans Holo says:
@Nimrod: Your link isn't available from Germany (what do you do to watch it anyway?).

It's a firefox addon called 'proxtube' (also available for chrome if I'm right), with that you can troll the GEMA like a boss. You get the message we all now, below it it says, "proxtube unblocks this video now", three seconds later, you can watch it :cool:
Beetle Racer

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d
Oh, Nimrod; thank you very very much for this info. I got a bit tired of listening to music via Youtube, but that's a little revolution for me.
:p

Two links for german speaking people:

A lawyer argumenting that using proxtube is legal:
http://www.winload.de/news/allgemein/youtube-sperre-umgehen-legal-oder-illegal/

A german musician ranting about Youtube: "...it's like pi**ing in our face."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLsXYBJ08I&feature=player_embedded#!

Hans
:d

------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: At the Firefox Add-On site the program viewtubes is listed as a popular one. It does the same as proxtube and also works with grooveshark. Any suggestions which is better (handling and more important performance)?
Last edited by Hans Holo,
Beetle Racer

try it yourself and tell us then ^^
Zimmer Racer

Its pretty useful that it works with grooveshark, but I think you just can't beat the youtube performance of proxtube, since it unblocks the videos in just a few seconds and even plays HD videos almost completely lag free. I haven't tried the other one yet, but I can defintely proxtube is epic. But maybe it is possible to use both? One for youtube and one for grooveshark

i don't really care if watching videos with proxtube is ok or not, since music videos are made to be watched, especially if the band or the label uploads them. Its probably something different when someine else uploaded them, but it just makes me happy because I hate the gema so unbelievably much :d
Last edited by Nim,
Beetle Racer

Would be interesting to know what other countries have restrictions when watching videos on youtube...?
------------------------------

Maybe it's a good time to start a discussion about copyrights.(?)
My opinion:

In general: if you work, you should get paid! :build:

I think the most important thing for musicians is that people listen to their music. Probably nobody (no musician) cares about copies that are made for private use.
But it's a different thing when somebody else is making money with your work. You put a lot of time, passion and money in producing a song, and that should be valued. Google is making millions of Dollars with Youtube and refuses to honor the work others have done, with which they make money. That's hardly fair to me.

From a fan's standpoint you should support the music you like. Most musicians can't live from their music. And I also think that most musicians are happy when they get back the money they invested in making a record.
So when you pay for the music you like, you show the record company (if there is one) that there's a demand for that music and hopefully they support the musicians in making a new record (and that's what you want as a fan).
If a musician cannot live from the music, you need some other income. But with a steady job, making music gets harder: You have less time for making music, you have to spent your holidays to get on tour...
I would like to see my favourite bands working on a new album, than carrying rocks on a construction site.

What do you think?

@Nimrod: Why do you hate the GEMA?
(What's the GEMA? It's the german organisation for collecting money for musicians. F.e. if a song gets played on the radio, the station gives money to the GEMA for airing the song and the GEMA gives the money to the musican. It's not as simple as that; just to give non-germans an idea.)
Beetle Racer

about first question - Lithuania doesn't have any restrictions on youtube, and we also have two awesome torrent-trackers with all new games, films and such :p and somehow LANVA (lithuanian anti-pirate organisation) doesn't perform too many actions against that :p

about second question - all those publishing companies and such could get much more money if they would make actually a better job than torrent-trackers! for example, where I can legally buy new films just after their release? nowhere, because DVDs are sold after few months. where I can buy old films? nowhere, because they aren't sold at all. if I finally buy a DVD, can I watch it comfortably? no because, there are loads of ads and other sh*t. can I play some games comfortably? no, because they require constant internet connection.
don't rly know about music, sorry.
Zimmer Racer

Hans Holo says:

I think the most important thing for musicians is that people listen to their music. Probably nobody (no musician) cares about copies that are made for private use.
But it's a different thing when somebody else is making money with your work. You put a lot of time, passion and money in producing a song, and that should be valued. Google is making millions of Dollars with Youtube and refuses to honor the work others have done, with which they make money. That's hardly fair to me.

I think it should be important for musicans that people listen to their music. I'm pretty damn sure there are some musicans there are mostly doing that for the money.

I also think people should get paid for their work and that people that don't own the music shouldn't be able to earn money with somebody else's work. For example, a youtube partner, who earns money with making videos, shouldn't use copyrighted material without permission by the original author, because he makes money with it. Known band-channels or channels from music labels are usually youtube partners, so they also earn money with their videos. Quite simple.

Hans Holo says:

@Nimrod: Why do you hate the GEMA?
(What's the GEMA? It's the german organisation for collecting money for musicians. F.e. if a song gets played on the radio, the station gives money to the GEMA for airing the song and the GEMA gives the money to the musican. It's not as simple as that; just to give non-germans an idea.)

I think the idea of the GEMA is good. It's good that somebody controls copyrights and that musicans get paid for their work. But if I'm right informed, a lot of musicans are getting almost nothing, and in many cases the gema takes most of the money. An author has to pay muhc to the GEMA to get their music licensed there, but often they just get very few money (bad english?) back. The other thing is that the GEMA is not up-to-date. Blocking tons of videos on youtube is definitely not the right way.

I think the whole thing with copyrights got wrong when the permission the GEMA, who isn't even producing the music (!), got more important than the permission of the author and the label. Sony Music for example wants all their music videos available on youtube, and also all bands I'm listening to are uploading their music on youtube. But the GEMA blocks them. Logic?
Beetle Racer

Nice to see a thread about music here. Gonna post my 5 favourite bands here, probably some of you know them. :p
1. Muse (rock / alternative from Britain)
example
2. Pendulum (Australian drum 'n' bass /alternative rock-band)
example
3. Poets of the Fall (rockband from Finland)
example
4. Negative (rock / glam rock, also from Finland)
example
5. Three Days Grace (Canadian alternative rockband)
example
Last edited by XT kruemelyeti,
Moped Racer
Page: 14 of 27 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem