Location: Home  Community Forums  General  A new type of track: GPR. 
A new type of track: GPR.
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
A new type of track: GPR.  
Hey there. :)

I'm here to posit a new type of track for you guys to try out. It's called "GPR" or "grand prix/roleplaying." The concept is that the track should be a mixture of a traditional GP-style track, but with the combination of challenging, twisty sections and ludicrous speeds you usually find in RPG maps, but with the trappings of a GP-style course, which means that the map takes place almost solely on racetrack-syle roads, usually with a few trackside details such as pits, garages and refreshment stands to really sell the atmosphere.

I don't want it to seem like I'm spamming, but to get across what a GPR track should be like, I'm going to use my track Jurassic Park Raceway (aka the first GPR track, according to Voyager006) as a template. As you're driving along it, you'll notice just how much of an emphasis is placed on flow. The track has long sections of turns broken up by straights that allow you to gain speed. The turns themselves each present a unique challenge, with some going steeply uphill or downhill, some tight turns at the end of long straights, and even an uphill section of U-turns with jumps in between, and there are many blind turns and hidden surprises throughout the course to keep you on your toes. Just like RPG tracks, GPR tracks rely on your ability to predict the correct route as much as they do on cornering form and sometimes even midair control - they don't just lay the entire route out right in front of you like normal GP tracks.

Like I've said before, a GPR track needs to also feel like a GP track. This is something I believe is especially important, as without trackside decorations to aid in the atmosphere, a GPR track is pretty much just a shoddy RPG map. I tend to put a lot of emphasis on decorations and making the track have the same vibe as a real racing course, with innumerable small details off to the side - stuff that you don't usually notice at first, but once you do it makes the track's GP side just that much more believable. I've been known to, for instance, create fully-functioning parking towers, separate entrances for teams and fans, roads interconnecting all the "stands" I put down on the side of the track, and so on and so forth.

So, basically, I think a GPR track could be summed up as pretty much an RPG track on GP-style roads with a crap-ton of little details to increase the atmosphere. The main point of this thread was to basically put the idea for the genre out there so people can join me and help get this genre of track up and running. I think it could be a really interesting and different type of course. :)
Learner Driver

That's actually just RPG without rpg pack, it already exists, it's called rpg :x Since rpg does not mean only one thing, it's just about pathfinding, so even a "gp feeling" could fit in rpg style.
Last edited by AR »DrHugs.,
Quad Bike Racer
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem