Location: Home  Community Forums  Your Maps  3 Competition Maps 
3 Competition Maps
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
3 Competition Maps  
Hey all,

I'm recently trying to do some maps for competitions like ESL, ET etc.
At all I know a lot comp maps by myself, so I tried to give it a shot (3 shots, at least :cool: ).

I would be very happy about some feedback to learn from mistakes etc. Any suggestions & comments if those maps would work in a comp or in general would be very helpful.

> Happy New Year!
> The Cramps
> Baguette Hunter

Thanks & keep on tracking! GLHF 2014! ;)
*Zett
Learner Driver

Very nice effort. All around solid tracks which I think would have been accepted for any league.

That being said I will offer what critical thoughts I can. I've always been surprised by peoples sensitivity to anything critical, so keep that in mind. These aren't negative things, just things that I think could help make the tracks even better.

For Baguette Hunter, it needs some better sign work or block partitioning to indicate you need to go farther left at the start. Atleast take this from someone that hardly ever watchs GPS or other replays unless I'm stuck. Which I had to after playing this track for 10 minutes only to find out I was doing it completely wrong. It's generally fine, but a little boring because the path is so easy. League tracks are generally straightforward, but not too easy (of which it's common to hear complaints about if you watch stream footage).

Happy New Year feels too flat for me. Too many cornered flat sections leading into cornered flat straightaways. if you look at the evolution of league tracks, they have changed dramatically since the first leagues. (I've kept track of and played all of them .) This one to me feels like it fits into the early league track design when they were still a bit hesitant to take chances.

The Cramps was my favorite of the three. It was the most engaging, offered the most in terms of differing elevations and had better overall track flow. The only nitpicky thing i could come up with would be the overuse of the 4-cylinder model thingy (I forget the name). But that's it, really enjoyed this one.

Overall, I think Baguette Hunter and Happy New year were a bit on the easy side compared to the more modern league tracks, such as has been found in the majority of TGC2 and the newer ESL tracks. The Cramps I think was more in tune with what's looked for. Feels like you took more chances with The Cramps, which paid off in terms of making it the most engaging and overall fun.

I think if you keep playing and keep making tracks they will be well accepted and appreciated. I could definitely see all of these 3 tracks on any rounds server. Very nice effort overall, definitely keep it up. (y)
G-kart Racer

Hey edk,

thanks a lot for your feedback, I appreciate it a lot (y)

Right now I'm working on some new maps and after a long playing break of nearly a year (!) I'm also getting back slowly to my mid-skill league driving fitness of 2012 :p

I think it's always a good thing when other people look on your tracks, cause like with all other creative things, it's always hard to have a distant point of view as the creator (I know this from making my own music for some years).
And, at least mapping is like driving: Practice, practice, practice :d

*Cheers again edk, c ya soon on the track! (y)
Learner Driver
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem