Location: Home  Community Forums  Projects & Competitions  Public building project - CopyCats, i guess would be a fitti... 
Public building project - CopyCats, i guess would be a fitting name!
Page: 3 of 4
Post Reply  0 Observer

Do respawns need to work? As it is now, the second respawn does not work out.
I will wait for the next copycat map as I don't like the parts so far :$
Moped Racer

Well okay then, left for work and when i came back here it has just exploded... Awesome!

First of all, i'm not able to test the latest version so far, and won't be able to the next week since i'm leaving for vacation. Might still be able to check the forum and reply, but i can't play the game.

Also, i'm not really sure what to think of this series-idea, where the tracks are "only" about 1 minute long. When i started the project my whole idea was a track not ending in the first couple of months, and definitely not stopping at just 1 minute. Even though the first 3 parts of the track i've played so far are awesome together, the hard thing about the project is keeping it awesome while exceeding the 3-4 maybe even 5 minute-racetime. It was not just meant to be a couple of great parts to be put together and then doing it all over because the track either gets too hard, not flowy, compact and stuff like that, that is just some of the problems the builders has to gifure out how to deal with - a community project. Not a community track. I'm sorry guys, but i might disagree with all of you, but i think it should be an ongoing project, and should only stop when people really run out of space to build on. As i said, i will not be able to play the next week or so, but i will check the forum so if you have another point of view, feel free to say it. Maybe i'll change my mind if someones makes a good argument, but so far - nope :)

btw also updated the list on the front page.
Learner Driver

Well, my view is this:

Arguments against unlimited length:
Before we start running out of space there are going to be fit limitations that are going to limit the pieces that people can chose, this will reduce track quality.

A 10 minutes track is undrivable for many people... it risks becoming one of those tracks that people only play on youtube but never drive in the game. For this kind of thing there has been the awesome "District 25 by   MX-Community, I don't think that can or should be repeated.

As the track grows longer builders will start to be harder to find because testing the track will require long drives.

Arguments for limited length:

Having a clear goal between 1m:00 -1m:15s will keep people motivated to contribute and see a result.

I can find you a lot of legendary 1 minute tracks on MX, but you will find it hard to find a handfull of great tracks above 3 minutes.

You will get a finished product often. Allowing people to submit replays and awards. Capturing more interest for next tracks.

... i'll think of more :-)
Quad Bike Racer

Andisch says:
I see a lot of people complaining about other trackers "stealing" parts of their tracks, and using them in their own tracks and therefor gaining more awards because of originality and so on. I personally think that the tracks and ideas you share on public websites like this are everybodys property and the advantages of this shouldn't be looked upon as stealing, if you catch my drift. Just one thing clear, credit where credit is due, if you copy huge parts of a track.

MX Rules says:
Do not take other people's maps and post them under your account, with or without modifications, unless the original author has given you permission.

So NO! your assumption you can do whatever you want with a track isn't correct. Trackbuilders used to pass protect to prevent crap like this, but more and more have chosen not to just to allow new trackbuilders to see how certain blocks are connected, not for those without inspiration to mess up the flow and crappify the hell out of their tracks.

Andisch says:
- Do not use parts from your own tracks.

Actually the rule should be "ONLY use parts of your own tracks". Then it would be a good project as you'd get authors who actually like the idea. I suspect a huge riot/flamewar om MX.
Andisch says:
- There are no judges, and no process after posting your trackpart.

Beside the original authors you stole the ideas from. Those will be judging you for sure
loves Foolspeed

so far you're the only who thinks like that... and I really doubt original authors will strictly forbid using their trackparts. I think they'd feel rather honored ^^
Last edited by Space,
Zimmer Racer

If BLiNNeMaNS doesn't like this project, he definitely won't like some of the tracks I have coming up. (brb)

We all know that rule is to prevent people from taking other people's tracks and trying to pass them off as their own. It's not to stifle creativity. In my opinion, this project is a great idea and should move ahead at full steam. I'd suggest leaving out any of BLiNNeMaNS tracks though. =p

I wrote a blog post about this last year:
http://tm.mania-exchange.com/blogs/entry/195/remixing
Site Leader

seriously eyebo?? without asking the author's permission??
loves Foolspeed

who would really care about that? except you. you don't get any money for tracks or smth anyway...
Zimmer Racer

why does it have to be about money?

why can't it be about my personal creative expression? Or the fact my trackpiece can be connected to the part of someone i dislike? Or get my piece in a track that then gets filled with loads of unnecessary scenery i'm against?
loves Foolspeed

Thanks for using my map, guys :d
G-kart Racer
Page: 3 of 4 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem