Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  HELP POWER SUPPLY "fixed" 
HELP POWER SUPPLY "fixed"
Page: 1 of 1
Post Reply  0 Observer
HELP POWER SUPPLY "fixed"  
Edited

Hello everyone

over last couple of weeks i have started to get trouble gaming, and now found my power supply is on its last legs
i think after 24/7 gaming for 5 years its going to die soon, its also as started to make a buzzy noise NOT GOOD ;)
since i not keen on buying online, i am limited to makes and models and where to get them from...

shops i have to use is PC WORLD/CURRYS-MAPLINS-GOLD CHIP COMPUTERS- and local computers shops,
also the cash flow funds is mega low, i have set the price at £100 no more...
so what am i asking you's

what power supply are you using ?
how much did it cost ?
where did you get it from ?
plus watt's is it and what amp is it ?

i have been told to run multi core and multi hard drives and big graphic make sure you get a large amp power supply
i have seen some 50amp one's etc... i am a little confused tho, on the specs it says things like

25, 25, 50 amps why does it say 25x2 why not just say 50 lol, just seen one today at pc-world it had
40, 40, 40, 40 and then 40 amps wtf it also was a 750 watts why does it say its 40x4

any feed back on this problem i have will help me loads ;)
links to the power suplly units i have seen and thinking of, which ones do you think would be best for me
to game with ????

pc spec
quad core
1mb nivid oc gtx460 graphic card
3 hard drives 1tb,750,500 there is more but i have removed them now
750 psu its about dead
4 gb ram "note it should be 8" lent 4 out to a family member

100 mania planets for the best helper !
Last edited by WRAITH,
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

If it's just making noise, then you might just have something in the fan. If you have some compressed air or a vacuum cleaner, run that around your noisy PSU. Do NOT take apart your power supply. Even if it's unplugged, it might still be carrying a charge. If that fixes the issue, then great! If you power supply is running low, and choking other components, you'll start to see some really funky things happen to your graphics. If this isn't happening, you might be okay.

If not, or if you just want to replace the power supply anyway:

Power supplies can be very confusing if you don't know what you're looking for.

The most power-hungry parts you have are the CPU and graphics card. Your graphics card peaks at 160W What kind of CPU is it? There can be a fairly significant difference between in power consumption cpus with the same number of cores.

HDDs and the rest don't pull more than a few watts.

It's also important to note that if you are running the power supply constantly over 70% of its capacity, you'll start eating into its lifespan.

I've looked around, and it turns out that you don't need 750 watts. You could easily run with a 600W.

Now that you know what kind of wattage you want, make sure that you get something that has all of the connectors you need. The 460 requires 2 6-pin connectors. You'll also need enough SATA connectors to cover your HDDs and optical drive(s).

As far as power supplies are concerned, it's best to shell out some extra coin to get a quality product. If something goes wrong with the PSU, you risk frying your other components, as well. I like to err on the side of caution. Be sure to not just get the cheapest one you see that meets your requirements. Also look for good reviews.

I hope this is helpful (y)
Sports Saloon Racer

thx :)

i am looking at a corsair tx 850... i will buy it over the weekend, hopefully i be back on trackmania2 for next weekend ;)
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER

Got a xfx 750 pro series loads of amps...update on running test..wow new psu is very good does not lack power
give it 4 out of 5 "why" only 4 loads of wires and can not remove any !
but build is spot on 5 out of 5

:)
Last edited by WRAITH,
TM CLOSED BETA TESTER
Page: 1 of 1 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem