Location: Home  Community Forums  The Off Topic Pit of Oblivion  Chrysler Superbowl ad debacle.... 
Chrysler Superbowl ad debacle....
Page: 1 of 2
Post Reply  0 Observer
Chrysler Superbowl ad debacle....  
derp

Edit: Oh I found a news article about the takedown, but no real explanation.

It seems weird tho, since it's Chrysler's commercial. :p And there wouldn't seem to be any infringing content other than a reference to football in general and to halftime. But why would the NFL approve the ad in the first place. It aired during the superbowl. And then they try to take it off YouTube. It's all very strange.

Edit 2: another news post about it.
... says:
Update: 8:20 am: I've been in touch with both NFL and Chrysler spokespeople and they're both researching what's happening, before making any public statements.
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

Apparantly the NFL didn't make a copyright claim against the video, and Chrysler themselves didn't take it down. So YouTube has put the video back up on Chrysler's YouTube channel.

(Source)

I'm suddenly questioning why I made this topic to begin with. Probably no one finds this interesting except me. :$

Anyway, YouTube has put up a special channel with all the Superbowl ads on it, so check out adblitz. Most of the others are of a more humorous nature. I especially love the Chevrolet ad, which was actually made for a contest, which was won by Zack Borst.

The ads have traditionally been the only reason I watched the superbowl. But now that they come out on YouTube, I just skip the game and watch the ads the next day. :p
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

I would yawn at you, but I don't want to commit to that kind of emotional investment.
Quad Bike Racer

Fair enough. 8-|
Site Leader

I don't understand how anyone could force Chrysler to take down their own advertisement. Unless there was some sort of fine print in the Super Bowl agreement that says that ads aren't allowed to be published elsewhere.
Sports Saloon Racer

Chrysler didn't take it down. YouTube took it down due to a takedown notice by a third party associated with the NFL. But the NFL itself had actually approved of the ad already, so it was quite the debacle. Read the story from the Wall Street Journal for full details.
Site Leader

So the NFL authorized a bunch of suits somewhere to police the internet, looking for content belonging to the NFL, who did so. I can see how game and halftime show content would be subject to copyright and takedown, but they should have no jurisdiction outside of those places. The citation of "proximity" should bear no weight, and their takedown request overruled. It's just a bit of dumb that got blown up because of the size of the organizations involved.
Sports Saloon Racer

Well YouTube takes stuff down as soon as they get an infringement notice from the alleged copyright holder. So you're sort of guilty until proven innocent. It's not really the best policy in my opinion, but there it is. It's rather funny that they would act against a company as big as Chrysler though. I guess they're not biased (YouTube I mean). :p
Last edited by eyebo,
Site Leader

I would think that they would do theire best to stay objective, but guilty until proven innocent is not a policy that I can agree with, especially if the allegations come from a third party like this. Since no one has named the compnay, it might have even been a rival company or just an internet lamen like you or me :p conspiracy!
Sports Saloon Racer

That is kinda funny...
I'm back :)
Page: 1 of 2 Post Reply
© ManiaExchange (mania-exchange.com, mania.exchange) 2024. • Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy Top  •  Report a Problem